The hasty call, the flurry of emails, the confusion of a story forming to your right, left and center. Verifying and re-verifying the story. (Let’s always remember that one, OK?) Covering and reporting hot news is one of the adrenaline-pumping challenges journalists live for. But in the rush to publish you might overlook some of the things that can help spread your copy.
So here’s Chris Snider’s checklist:
* Post to Twitter (and have staffers post to their Twitter accounts)
* Post to Facebook
* Send breaking news text alert
* Send breaking news e-mail alert
* Send a message to MySpace friends
* Create a widget so others can add news to their site
* Buy keywords on Google/Yahoo/Facebook
* Send to Drudge, Reddit, Digg, Fark
* Send info to bloggers/sites who cover that topic
* Post info in forums related to that topic
* Put together a print promotion plan
Much more at the link.